Sunday, April 4, 2010

Solomon's Seal



"One way I cultivate delight is to abandon myself to individual sensations, savoring them until they vanish. A garden pleases all the senses, including the kinesthetic sense of moving through space. For example, smelling a peony's blossoms until the nose quits from the sheer abundance of scent. In that moment, the universe -- from the dirt below one's feet clear out to the farthest stars, and beyond that in time back to the Big Bang -- all of it vanishes. Nothing exists but the citrusy smell of one peony. How long can I hold the sensation in my mind before it evaporates? I don't care. I cultivate delight."

--Diane Ackerman, Cultivating Delight


The Solomon's Seal is up. I had never seen this versatile plant until I moved here, now I see it at nurseries occasionally, surprisingly more expensive than I'd imagine. But worth it I suppose. Fortunately for me, it was already here, in 3 places and 2 varieties. I've been moving it to other places too. It transfers so easily, comes early and stays green for months, and looks great cut in vases. Interesting how it starts out as a little red bud peeking through the earth, like a peony. Each year, I think, What is that? Then I see it everywhere and remember. I have it in shady areas and sunny areas, it seems generally agreeable with anything. One version I have is tall, about 1 1/2" - 2', so it's a nice plant to put in the back or against a fence. Delicate little white pods appear, not quite little flowers, and also last a few weeks.

I am always amazed that you can take one little plant, and how quickly it multiplies itself over and over again. I have given away so much Solomon's Seal, but you'd never know it, it's so prolific. One of the lilies I planted last year has become 6 this year, what gifts nature gives us!

Here is the Solomon's Seal as it began to emerge, and after it's up.

No comments:

Post a Comment